With time, herbs are drawing attention because of their safety and benefits. Brahmi powder is a famous herbal product obtained from the leaves of a plant called Bacopa Monnieri. For decades, people, especially in India, have been employing it for relieving stress, enhancing cognition, and promoting hair growth.
Research examining the benefits of Brahmi powder for hair showed that its alkaloids content binds to keratin (hair protein) and promotes hair follicle growth, resulting in stronger and thicker hair.
Also, Brahmi helps you with various other hair conditions we have talked about later in this article.
At SkinVeteran, our experts’ team ensures to provide you with authentic information that references well-reputed studies. So, keep on reading to find how Brahmi benefits your hair and how to use it properly.
What Makes Brahmi Powder Special For Your Hair?
Brahmi contains a few unique and strong ingredients that help your hair grow longer and stronger. The following is the chemical composition of Brahmi powder:
- Alkaloids (Hepastine, Brahmin)
- Saponins ( Bacoside A, A3, B)
- Betulic acid
- D-mannitol Steroids (Stigmasterol, Sitosterol)
Most of these constituents are antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and increase the blood flow to your scalp. They do a wonderful job with your haircare. All of them make Brahmi a special therapy for your hair.
Benefits of Brahmi For Hair
According to a study examining the effects of Brahmi on hair growth, a notable expansion of hair follicle size and extended hair growth phase (anaphase) was seen after employing Brahmi oil. Moreover, this study noted the following benefits of Brahmi for the hair.
- It enhances blood circulation in the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Treats thinning of hair follicles
- Reduces dry and flaky scalp
- Prevents premature greying of hair
- Increases hair strand strength and thickness
- Alleviates dandruff
- Moisturizes scalp and hair shaft
- Also reduces split ends and hair frizz
- Prevents hair fall
You can avail the benefits of Brahmi for your hair only by applying it in the right way. Our expert pharmacist, Ifsha Akhlaq, has recommended the following ways you can use Brahmi on your hair.
How to Use Brahmi Powder For Hair?
Brahmi can be used in a variety of ways to reap its benefits. And if you’re using it in powder form, there are a variety of options available that will help you achieve the best possible results with minimal effort.
1. Brahmi As a Hair Mask
Brahmi hair masks treat hair falls, increase hair growth and prevent dandruff. To prepare the Brahmi powder hair mask:
- Combine it with the amla powder and the ashwagandha powder in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the herbs thoroughly, then gradually add warm water to the herb mixture.
- Continue to stir as you gradually add more water to form a smooth paste. You can also try yogurt instead of water to make a paste.
- Leave the paste for ten minutes, then apply to scalp and hair length.
2. Make Brahmi Hair Oil
Homemade oil of Brahmi powder gives you calming and soothing effects and treats dandruff, and promotes hair growth. To make oil, follow these simple steps:
- Take coconut oil or olive oil in the bowl and use the double boiler method.
- Add organic Brahmi powder, organic amla powder, and dry hibiscus flower, which are extremely effective in maintaining healthier, shinier, and longer hair.
- Cook for 90min at very low heat. Strain oil with the help of a filter or cloth.
Massage your scalp with this Brahmi oil before going to bed as it helps a restful sleep along with its hair benefits.
3. Brahmi Powder Hair Dye
For the treatment of premature greying of hair, Brahmi powder is used as dye and method as follow:
- Combining Brahmi powder with plant Lawsonia inermis (henna) hair dye can double the benefit.
- Mix well and add water or yogurt to make a smooth paste.
- Apply to your hair strands. After 1-2 hours, wash your hair with herbal shampoo.
If you are already suffering from premature greying of hair, using Brahmi powder hair dye four times a month can help. Our expert, Ifsha Akhlaq, says that you will be able to experience results after 8 weeks of using it.
4. Brahmi Organic Shampoo
Brahmi powder can be used as a mild natural shampoo. To make this herbal shampoo, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Combine organic Brahmi powder, Amla powder, and Shikakai powder in water to form a paste.
- Apply it to wet hair, let it sit for 2–3 minutes, then rinse.
5. As a Hair Conditioner
Bramhi is rich in nutrients that nourish the hair. Brahmi powder is a natural conditioner that protects hair from roots to ends. It prevents hair frizz and split ends and also helps moisturize the scalp. The method of Brahmi hair conditioner is:
- Take Brahmi powder in a glass jar with ashwagandha, tulsi, neem, amla, and Bhringraj powders.
- Then heat some water and mix it to the herb powder (make sure you take enough water to create an infusion).
- Let all of the herbs soak in the water overnight, transferring all their goodness to the water.
- The next day, strain the liquid and store it in a bottle.
- Use as a hair conditioner after shampoo or regular wash. Leave it for 60 minutes, then rinse with water.
Brahmi powder is an ayurvedic product that has promising results of promoting hair growth, preventing hair thinning, and reducing hair fall. While employing this herb is completely safe, further studies should be done to support Brahmi’s benefits for hair.